the random scats of a thoughtered soul in transit

26 August 2009

resurrection of emily's mind

so there's a lot going on in my life all of a sudden. i figure i will be on the computer more frequently typing papers and such now that i am a student again... so i will try to keep this more updated!! heh... my area's of rambling for the moment:

i am officially a student again at midwestern baptist college. my student ID says midwestern baptist theological seminary. either way, i'm legit. i am taking 13 hours for credit, 1 hour for audit. weird, huh? the audit class is called choral union--a choir class (go figure). it meets once a week, tuesday nights. i am auditing it because i am also co-leading a support group, which also happens to be the last tuesday of every month. i rather audit the class and get to sing vs. hurt my already-precious g.p.a. by missing too many classes!!

i am in a second choir as well--midwestern singers. i walked in ten minutes late because my car died in front of a gas station--i was outta gas. and i was broke. so i left a note in the car window, "ironically ran out of gas and money at the same time--will be back today!" and i had to have my mommy come pick me up and drop me off at my first day of school. wow, feeling like i'm making wonderful progress as a student now, right? I walk through the door, and literally, everyone cheers. I was a bit startled. on stage sat six men and two women, in addition to dr. foley (dr. usually indicates a teacher or important person in college. i'm starting to remember these things). we have... three women singing in this choir. i have never been outnumbered by men in a choir before. culture shock! and here's the biggest shocker of all to me: i am an alto. a WHAT? oh yes, you heard me right. an alto. miss 1st soprano is now learning to listen for harmony tunes and retrain her ear as an alto. i feel like a cat thrown into a lake for its first swim, these days. i have to keep telling myself that i am singing alto, lest i forget. however the one soprano we have can sing louder than everyone else in the choir. oh, and the one tenor. then five bass/baritones. we are a section of two alto's. two. alto's. i brought my music folder home--maybe i will grace you all with what we are singing. yet at a later date.

moving on.

i have already missed the first two chapel days, too. oops. i blame this on the prednisone fog i'm experiencing at the moment.

prednisone. ok, let me say something here. how many times have i been on an IV for m.s. flares? like, twelve or something? then after getting this great high of steroids for a week (a gram a day...WOWSERS... give a little kid a pound of sugar and tell them to sit still in the chair. they will vibrate), i have now figured out why i always taper off the medicine so poorly. they give me the prednisone pills with these instructions i have had memorized for 10 years: "four pills for ten days, three pills for three days, two pills for three days, and one pill for three days". easy, right? so why has it taken me ten years to figure out you take all four pills at the exact same time and not taper them out throughout the day? duh. i feel like the world's greatest idiot at the moment. my neuro thought i was nuts when i asked her that question. she did laugh at me, though (maybe that was with me... still debating the veracity of the chuckle). so, while i am experiencing a prednisone fog, it's not as bad as it has been previous years. there's something major to be thankful for, absolutely!! now if my memory just stays in check...

i definitely am on diazepam/valium, though. mom asked me to run the trash out this morning and help her pick a few things up in the living room before my two uncle's showed up to deliver two big bookshelves from grandma's house. this is not a seriously major request, right? easy. i literally ended up in tears overwhelmed, so frazzled. i couldn't even remember when my choir class was at that point. all i knew was i was ten minutes late to the first day of class, i couldn't be late again, and all of a sudden the one bag of trash by the front door looked like a mound of trash from sarah silvia cynthia stout, who wouldn't take the garbage out... wow. can anyone say withdrawl?? let's say it together...

i am off the IV, fyi. i got all five doses in two IV's itself (altho five sticks. not too shabby, for my veins). my vision is coming back slowly. kind of in waves... a bit more color here, a little more peripheral vision there, one less black opaque dot in another area... putting on my glasses these days is somewhat like a carnival ride...

i would sincerely kiss the person who invented nystatin oral suspension, if it weren't for the fact that it combats thrush. that's weird. steroids give me thrush. so i have two options: eat my weight in yogurt (working on that part...) or get nystatin oral suspension. you squirt 2mm or something like that into your mouth of this stuff, swish it around, and swallow it. voila! irritating side effects of thrush diminished. i looooove it!! it almost had the same effect on me like christian experienced in pilgrim's progress, when his burden was lifted off his back.... ooooh, man, i can brush my teeth and they feel clean ten minutes later! score! what a relief! i just have no desire to put my burden back on my back and keep on trudging up the hill.... yes, doctor, i will listen and take this whole prescription. you can bet the stock of yogurt at the store on that.

my oldest sister, sherry, turned FIFTY on the 24th. i had to humiliate her somehow, so i posted an add for her on craigslist. you can check it out here: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vnn/1339549623.html

she hasn't killed me for it yet. here's a picture from her birthday party, though... my sister shelly, my mom and myself put together a walker for her of all the necessities an 'elderly' person may need in life.

i may need to relocate to a foreign country by the time i reach fifty, considering i am the youngest... hm...

No comments: